That evening we dyed eggs with Daphne and needless to say she was a little overzealous in her dying. She'd thrown several different colors in together in a few of our cups before we could even blink and then began grabbing eggs and not just placing them in, but chucking them full speed into the cups, grabbing them out again and throwing them into other colors. It was pretty exciting! :) She still calls any hard boiled egg an Easter Egg however, which is pretty cute. She loved it.
On Sunday I was asked to speak in church, which was really wonderful because it allowed me time and preparation for the real reason of the Easter holiday. I am so grateful for the atoning sacrifice of my Savior Jesus Christ and his resurrection and all that it means to us. It has given me such comfort in my life to know that we can be together forever as families. I shared one of the most tender portions of my mom's journal as part of my talk where she reflected on loosing her own mother.
"I
gave Mama’s little skeleton a backrub just before bed one night,
and when I knelt for my prayer, the contours of her wasted body
seemed to be still under my hands. I was heart broken and searching
for comfort. I thanked the Lord for the atonement. I’ve studied
it so many times, thought about it occasionally, but don’t remember
ever wanting it to be a reality more than I did as I thought about
Mama’s precious body wasting away a few feet from me. As I prayed
those words of gratitude, I was enveloped in that feeling best
described as flames of fire. Delicious warmth filled every part of
my being. I felt enveloped and engulfed in flames. They lingered
but not long enough for me. I would have liked to have kept feeling
with me. They are what I have come to regard as the Comforter.
Later,
after the ordeal of Mama’s physical death, the cold questions crept
into my mind: What if it’s all a story? What if this death is
really all there is? What if all that was my mother has come to a
final end? What a leaden, miserable feeling it was. Thankfully, it
was brief.
In retrospect, those two strong memories make an easy choice for me.
I know which of them to believe. One of them is death, and the other
is life. One is cold, and the other is warm. One is false, and the
other is true! I believe in the atonement. I believe in
resurrection. I believe in eternal life! I thank the Lord! I have
been sweetly and personally comforted. May the Lord help me to keep
that truth and comfort in my life."
It's been wonderful for me to have these thoughts of my mothers to refer to and think on after loosing her, and what a joy and comfort it is to know that I will see her again!
After church we had a yummy Easter meal with our friends the Brimhalls. I made my first Chicken Cordon Bleu and it was delicious, although the portions were gigantic! For dessert we had a Lemon Berry Trifle, which was also super yummy--homemade lemon pound cake, homemade lemon curd mixed with cream and layered with berries. Yum! We also had a little devotional where we filled eggs with the symbols of easter and read scriptures to go along with them. It was really nice. All in all it was a really lovely easter weekend filled with things both fun and spiritual to help us remember the true reason for the season :)
Daphne & Mommy showing off their eggs
Daphne post throw


Showing off her egg dying outfit

My trifle after lots of hard work :)

Daphne and Piper--two cutie girls
Daphne and mommy in matching colors--I made Daphne's dress from the Junebug tutorial here. I LOVE the pattern and it went together fairly quickly considering it was only my 2nd dress ever.

A squirrel giving the kids clues on where to find the eggs
Attempted kiddo pic post egg hunt
Little bunny Piper :)
My easter tulips--my only Easter request. I think I may have even liked them better than chocolate.....at the time. :)


Love your coordinated outfits, the bunny ear clips (!), the egg dyeing and the tulips. Yay Spring. Glad you posted!
ReplyDeleteLoved the trifle. Oh, and thanks for that double-chin picture of me :)
ReplyDeleteYou must have been working hard to get a double chin, Niki! It's so weird to see other people having holiday meals on that table!!! Thanks for hosting the hunt! PS Who's that little boy that cries all the time?
ReplyDeleteLooks like a wonderful time! I can't believe how big all those kidos are getting!
ReplyDelete