I wanted to write a post to reflect a little on the last 2 years of our lives. It was 2 years ago today that we were nervously anticipating welcoming our baby girl into the world. We were filled with fear for her health due to her omphalocele that was diagnosed at our 20 wk. ultrasound, but also so very excited to meet her and hopeful that all would be well. I had never been hospitalized, let alone had a major surgery, so I was pretty jittery about the whole c-section process. Thankfully, my parents and Van were there and were a great support and comfort. Grandpa Hawkes wrote:
"At 9:46 am this morning at Presbyterian St. Luke’s Hospital in Denver, CO, little girl Willis, to be named either Daphne Adele or Audrey Adele, probably, was born via C-section to our youngest daughter. She’s their first, and our 18thgrandchild. She weighed 7 lb. 14 oz (3.58 kg) at birth and is 20 inches (50.8 cm) long. She has dark hair and is cute as a bug’s ear, with a small dimple in her chin."
Daphne went in for surgery later that day and Van and I finally got to hold her for the first time that evening. Her hospital stay was thankfully uneventful, and she was PERFECT! I had had so many concerns about her health and other possible complications with her omphalocele, wondering if we'd be dealing with a whole range of struggles with her throughout her life, but she was whole and perfect with a need for just a small repair. We were out of the NICU within a week, when we had expected a 5 or more week long stay. We were and are so very blessed.
She has grown to be such a sweet, happy girl. She is curious and bright. She can count to 20 already only missing a couple of numbers and knows almost all her colors and can sing her alphabet. She loves to "read" her favorite books and knows almost every word. I'll often wonder where she's disappeared to, only to wander into her room and find her in her rocker with a pile of books that she is reading out loud. She loves to eat and will often request blue cheese and feta. :) Her favorite activities are caring for her many babies and stuffed animals; feeding them, changing diapers, kissing bonks, and putting them to sleep. She's a great mini mommy. According to her, her favorite food is "happy birthday cake", and she loves to "go hiking" and swimming. We love her more than we ever could have imagined and are so grateful to our Heavenly Father for blessing us with our darling Daphne girl.
Week 1
6 Months
12 Months
18 Months
23 Months
2 Years Old--with her Happy Birthday Pancakes on our family birthday plate this morning.
I know it's long, but a birthday tribute to Daphne wouldn't be complete without remembering how she became Daphne Adele, instead of all the other name ideas we had. We were down to about two in the hospital and struggling to decide. While I rested, Van had been struggling to write poems with each name, and was only inspired by the one. I wasn't aware of it until he came to me and asked me to listen to the one he'd come up with. I was in tears by the end and knew that it had to be her name--and so, we have our Daphne Adele Willis
Daphne Adele
When we first met you cried.
But I, pierced by Cupid’s gold-tipped shaft, crept close to see
your eyes.
And you, pierced by the Asklepian,
demurely turned away.
Stroking your cheek I wonder-
‘If so charming in disorder, what will you be arranged?’
Even now so rests that thought,
and ever will,
Like your namesake upon my head.
AND AN EXPLANATION FOR THOSE LIKE ME WHO ARE A BIT FORGETFUL WHEN IT COMES TO GREEK MYTHOLOGY
Her name originally comes from the Daphne and Apollo myth. Apollo is shot with the golden arrow of cupid and falls in love with Daphne. She is shot by cupid's arrow as well, but it is a lead one which makes her vow never o marry. As she is pursued by Apollo she is changed into a laurel tree. That's a brief overview. The quote in the second stanza comes from the myth--Apollo is speaking of Daphne with her hair blowing in the wind. Asklepius is the god of medicine, and son of Apollo---the snake symbol comes from him (the Asklepian). Hopefully you can figure out the rest from there. Van's not one for explaining poetry, as he thinks it takes away from the meaning. He already thinks I've made it too easy for you, but I figured I'd help out a bit to save the internet searching.

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAPHNE! Hope you guys had a great day and a cute little party to celebrate! I can't believe she's two!! Time flies!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to Daphne! Wish we lived close enough to celebrate with you!
ReplyDelete