So, I've been repeating myself a lot lately when I mention to people how fast time is going. I feel like I've barely had time to digest that I'm a mother, let alone process that my baby girl is already one year old. WHERE did that year go? I can't make sense of it. I hear that it just continues to go by faster and faster, so I better get moving if I'm going to accomplish anything!
Daphne is 1. Van and I were just going through our 2010 slide show and looking at how much she's grown. We had a chance to remember what a miracle baby Daphne was as we remembered what the possibilities could have been for her health, and thought of what a happy, healthy little girl she's grown into. We have been immensely blessed and love our sweet girl (although she is learning to assert herself a bit too well these days).
We got to celebrate Daphne's day with all of Van's family at a beautiful cabin up in Bear Lake, UT during the biannual Willis family reunion. It was fun to have everyone there. We hiked through some really neat caves there (pictures from that in another post) in the morning and then came home and got dinner ready for everyone. We made Cafe Rio style Pork Salads and they were delicious! I made a very non-fancy cake since we were away from home and our kitchen and some rice krispie treats--both of which Daphne devoured. I ended up with a migraine that night, so I wasn't too much fun, but loved seeing how excited she got to open up her baby doll, and get some other toys that are a little more age appropriate. Up until now, she's really only had baby toys, so she was thrilled to have some new stuff. Here are some pics from the day:
Mommy unsuccessfully blowing out the candles for Daphne

Daddy's present--a large plush meeple (it's a board game piece stuffed animal--the ultimate nerdy dad gift) She loves it.

Her first baby doll. She loves to touch it's eyes and nose and give it loves. It's pretty darn cute.

One of those pop up toys--all the kids loved this and wouldn't leave it alone, no matter how old.

First cake bites--she made a somewhat disgusted face when she started out, but quickly started diggin it as you will see by the pictures that follow :)

happily chocolatey

Mmmmmmm

Like mother, like daughter--she often lifts up her plate to lick it :) "_

dumping the crumbs--oh so fun!

We love our Daphne. She is walking like a champ these days and loves to put her shoes on. She often says "Go" very emphatically when she wants to go outside. She is learning to sign quickly and learned please in a day when she realized that it often got her exactly what she wants. She walks around all day patting her little chest (she does that instead of rubbing it--the real sign), making it a little tough to know exactly what she's asking please for--but it sure is stinkin cute. She loves to eat, but has recently become slightly more particular in her eating habits much to the chagrin of her mother. She's also developed a screeching habit when trapped by the straps of her carseat, that I'm not too fond of and often try to replace with more pleasant noises. When she does it, it produces a wide variety of happier sounding squeaks and animal sounds from mom and dad in the front seat, which I'm sure would sound ridiculous to any passerby. She LOVES to go up and down the stairs and will often toddle around the house with one item or another in both her hand and/or mouth. We often find her with a keychain flashlight in her mouth, chain dangling, and a carebear in her hand as she's trying to ascend the stairs. Unfortunately, her confidence on the stairs causes her to be a bit less careful, which results in episodes like today's fall and subsequent fat lip. She is a handfull, but a whole lot of fun. We are so grateful to have her in our family. Happy (belated--only by one month!) Birthday Daphne girl!
Oh, Katie. She's adorable. Congrats to you all for a sweet year of enjoying your beautiful girl.
ReplyDeleteHeidi (Cush)
Love Bear Lake...on the Idaho side of course. Happy Birthday....I remember when she was born. Congratulations on a beautiful daughter.
ReplyDeleteShe is turning into such a beauty, and entering what I think is the funnest stage yet. Love you!
ReplyDeleteI've been waiting for pics! She looks so different every time I see her. Are you *sure* you don't want to bring her?? You're right, I wouldn't be able to be a very doting auntie. Please give her BIG HUGS for us!
ReplyDelete