PS--I am planning to update my blog and explain the radio silence of the past 4 months....soon. We moved, it was the holidays, started a new job, and had a baby. I feel like I have at least 4 very valid excuses for not writing, but am a slacker nonetheless. It will come soon.
ROWAN'S BIRTH STORY
From my 20-week ultrasound on, I knew
that I would be having a scheduled cesarean section with our first
baby girl Daphne. Due to a defect in her abdominal wall that would
require surgery, the doctors recommended it as the safest way for her
to be born. I was heartbroken, feeling that it would pave the way
for the rest of my births. My husband and I knew that we wanted
several children and I didn’t want this to limit our family or be
the way that I welcomed all of our children into the world. We
researched her condition and found that there was no conclusive
evidence to support a c-section as a safer mode of birth for our
daughter. We presented our findings to both the perinatologists we
were working with and the pediatric surgeon who would be operating on
Daphne when she was born. The surgeon found no problem with it and
ultimately the perinatologist scheduled to deliver her said the
decision would be ours, but “if it were my baby, I would have the
c-section.” In the end, we felt that it would be the best path for
us, hoping that it would minimize stress for the baby.
Daphne’s birth was an emotional
experience because there were so many unknowns about her health. I,
however, felt very detached from the birthing process, since I didn’t
“birth” my baby, but rather had her cut out of me. I was not an
active participant in her birth at all. She was born first thing in
the morning, healthy and strong and recovered quickly from her
surgery. We got a brief glimpse of her immediately after birth
before she was whisked off to the NICU for evaluation and prep for
surgery. I was only able to really see her that night after the
surgery was over and she was sleeping. It wasn’t until the next
day that I got to hold her while hooked to monitors, IV’s, and
tubes, and several days later began to breastfeed. While my
c-section recovery was uneventful and fairly smooth, it was still a
grueling and painful process. I couldn’t function normally for a
long time and it took a significant amount of time for my body to
heal.
When we found out we were expecting our
second baby, I knew immediately that I wanted something different
from my first experience. I’ve always known and trusted my body to
be an amazing thing, created with everything needed to successfully
birth a baby. Even though it was explained to me over and over again
by medical professionals that a c-section was just as safe as a
vaginal birth, I felt that it couldn’t be, since my body was
designed to birth babies. I felt like I had missed out on a
fundamental part of being a mother and a woman by not being allowed to go through
the process of birthing my baby and that I missed an important step
in bonding with my baby in the process.
Nearing the end of my pregnancy I knew
that we would be moving to a new state due to my husband’s
graduation from graduate school. Once we knew where we were headed,
I immediately started searching out information to help me achieve
the birth that I wanted. I knew that several states had bans on VBAC
births and was pleased to find that California did not. As I
searched the internet for resources in the LA area, I kept coming
across the names of several people who were active advocates for VBAC
births, one of whom was a doula in the South Bay area named Patricia
Grube. I had never heard of a doula before and began looking into
it. As I talked things over with my husband, we decided that a doula
would be instrumental in helping us achieve a successful VBAC birth
by helping us navigate the complicated medical system and firm up our
expectations and desires for birth. I also came to the conclusion
that I would most likely be successful in having a VBAC if it were
unmedicated—another reason we decided that a doula would be helpful
to us. I knew that finding the right doctor and hospital would be
key in getting us where we wanted to be and asked around in the
church congregation we belonged to, as many of the women had given
birth to one or more children recently. I contacted Patricia with
our story and asked for her advice as well. Her recommendation for a
doctor lined up with one that I had already been referred to by
several of my friends from church and it ended up being the perfect
person to help us. Dr. Richey was excited with our decision to
pursue a VBAC birth and agreed that a doula would be helpful.
Thankfully, the hospital that she worked through had recently lifted
a VBAC ban and was making progress towards helping more women achieve
VBAC births by having a hospitalist available 24 hours a day. Even
though I knew that Dr. Richey likely wouldn’t be delivering me, I
felt she was key in my VBAC success because of her practices. She
never guessed at the size of my baby, which helped me not to worry
about the possibility of the baby being “too big” for me to birth
and also allowed me to pass that information along to the
hospitalists that I worked with during my labor when they might have
been concerned. She was respectful of my wished to move around
during labor and as a result, I believe the hospital staff, knowing
her style and preferences, respected those more “alternative”
aspects of my birth plan.
We chose Patricia as our doula after
interviewing several, feeling like she was the right fit for us. I
attended her prenatal yoga classes as well for the two months we were
in California prior to the birth. The week I was due, my husband was
required to attend a week long training meeting in Pennsylvania,
bringing him home late on Friday March 8th when I was due
on Sunday March 10th. I was very anxious that I would go
into labor while he was gone, and he was able to make arrangements
with his company that should I go into labor, they would fly him home
as quickly as possible. My cousin came to stay with me that week and
we tried to take it easy and keep things quiet so that baby girl
would wait until he was home.
When I was awakened around 3am on
Thursday morning, March 7th with cramping and discomfort,
I tried to shrug it off and ignore it, thinking and hoping it was
just some indigestion or maybe some stronger Braxton Hicks
contractions. They kept me awake on and off until morning when I
realized they were coming every 10-15 minutes or so. I called my
sister and she insisted that I needed to get Van on his way home
since that’s how early labor had felt for her. I told her I would
contact Patricia and see what she recommended. Patricia told me to
call the doctors office and see if they could check me to see if I
was progressing at all, but that it might be best to get Van on his
way home since it was a six hour flight plus scheduling and
transportation time. I called the doctor’s office and they sent me
to the hospital for a labor check. Meanwhile, Van made arrangements
to be home by that evening. I went to the hospital with mildly
uncomfortable contractions, which they ended up timing at 7-10
minutes apart, but with only fingertip dilation and 60% effacement.
She said I was nice and soft though and that it was a good thing my
husband was on his way home. I continued with the same feeling
throughout the day, with some a little more intense than others and
the pressure and discomfort increasing through the evening. Since it
was still quite manageable, I decided to drive to the airport to pick
up Van, however, during the hour that I ended up driving around and
waiting for him in the car, the discomfort intensified. We made it
home and decided to head to bed and get whatever rest we could.
After going to bed at about 11:30pm, I woke up around midnight,
unable to manage the contractions lying down. I decided to let Van
sleep and managed early labor on my own, finding that being on my
feet was the most comfortable. I tried to sleep on the couch,
sitting up a little and also leaning over the arm of a large comfy
chair to preserve my energy. I spent the time blowing up my birth
ball and testing it out to manage contractions. I took a bath with
candles around to relax, which was wonderfully soothing, but again
found it difficult to manage the contractions without being on my
feet. I eventually determined that the most comfortable thing for me
was to lean against something while doing a figure 8 with my hips.
I began timing my contractions as early
morning approached, feeling they were getting more consistent and
uncomfortable. By 5:30am I was timing them consistently at 5 min
apart and was feeling the need for some support. I texted Patricia
and she asked if I could wait a little while to wake Van and/or go to
the hospital. I knew I could, so I told her I’d keep her posted
and work through it on my own. I woke him around 7ish and we
showered together with me leaning on the wall and Van doing hip
squeezes for me throughout. We finished getting our bags all ready
so that we could be prepared and Patricia made her way over to our
house by about 8:30. My 2 ½ yr old daughter had woken up and was
bouncing around the house, climbing on me during contractions and
wanting to play with the birthing ball. Van made me a couple of eggs
and I drank some orange juice although I didn’t feel much like
eating. With everyone awake and lots going on, my contractions
spaced back out to about 7-10 minutes apart. Van continued to do hip
squeezes through each one and we also used the birth ball for sitting
and leaning on. His support was amazing throughout the labor
process. He rubbed my shoulders, stroked my face and caressed my
back and arms. He was constantly by me and I didn’t want him
anywhere else. We slow danced through a lot of contractions with me
hanging on his shoulders.
Patricia left us around 11am to teach
her prenatal yoga class and suggested we try to nap. Van and I both
reclined on the couch a bit and were able to nap briefly—about 30
minutes, before contractions began waking me again. Daphne and my
cousin left, and I was able to relax a little more, knowing that
Daphne was taken care of and would not be a distraction. I remember
trying hard to focus on the contractions being productive and
bringing me closer to my baby, rather than the discomfort I was
feeling. Patricia had recommended listening to my relaxing playlist
that I had put together with jazz and classical. I didn’t know if
I’d really want it or not, but actually loved having something to
focus on. I enjoyed singing along to some of my favorite songs. I
remember crying with joy as Van and I embraced and I looked at our
family photos on the wall, realizing that soon there would be another
sweet little girl to add to them and that what I was experiencing was
bringing her closer to us. I also cried joyfully as I listened to
the words of Iz’s version of “What a Wonderful World” when he
sings about babies crying and watching them grow, excitedly
anticipating our new little one.
Patricia returned by about 2pm, and by
2:30, my contractions had picked up again and were about 4 minutes
apart. Patricia recommended that we wait until they were closer to 3
minutes apart before heading to the hospital. She also suggested
that maybe we go for a walk in an area with hills in the neighborhood
to potentially speed things up. We did so, and contractions slowed
again, with only 3 or so in the 45 minutes we were out. Once we got
home Patricia suggesting that we try going up and down the stairs.
My body fell into a pretty good routine of getting through one trip
up and down before I would have a contraction. I was breathing
heavily through each one and vocalizing to help me manage it.
Patricia was wonderful, giving me suggestions of things to do to help
labor progress a little more quickly and help with my comfort. When
I would start to lose control during contractions, she would help me
to focus and clam myself by reminding me to breathe, keep my
vocalizing grounded and low instead of high pitched, and often
moaning along with me. It was hard to know what I wanted and what
would help me, but each of her suggestions were wonderful, from food,
to music, to essential oils to ease nausea and give energy.
I remember feeling discouraged as the
hours went on and things weren’t progressing very quickly.
Patricia would ask each time I used the bathroom if I was having any
bloody show, and each time there wasn’t anything there, I felt like
that meant we were still far from where we needed to be. As evening
neared, she suggested that we try lying down. I was petrified to lie
down since when I had done so before I had felt unprepared for the
contractions and it seemed that it brought them on more strongly, but
decided to try it anyway since I had been up the better portion of
the two previous nights and was exhausted from being on my feet so
much. We lay down for a few minutes and I immediately jumped out of
bed with the intensity of the first contraction that I had, during
which I also started to feel a great deal of pelvic and rectal
pressure. I told Patricia and she had me sit on the toilet for
several contractions, when finally I started to have some bloody
show.
I was concerned that I might struggle
with the managing my contractions on the car ride to the hospital,
and since contractions had gotten closer to 3-4 minutes apart by this
time, we made the decision to head out. We arrived at about 10
o’clock and by 10:30 I was admitted, dilated to 4 ½ centimeters,
75% effaced, and -1 station. My night nurse was wonderful, allowing
me to move around freely while still being hooked up to the monitors.
She also never once asked me to rate my pain or about pain
medication. My contractions were continuing to get stronger and more
painful, sometimes lasting several minutes and I was starting to feel
extremely tired. In the early morning hours on Saturday, as I was
laboring on the birth ball with Van behind me to support me, I was
falling asleep between intense contractions. I would nod off and Van
would catch me and make sure I didn’t fall. I began to feel as
though there would be no way I would make it to the end if it weren’t
close. I told Van and Patricia that I really wanted to consider the
epidural and asked the nurse to check me to see where I was. I was
at 6cm with a bulging bag of waters, having progressed only 1 cm from
the last exam I had had 4 hours previous. Since things were
progressing so slowly, we decided to go ahead with a light dose
epidural, which allowed us all to rest for several hours.
At about 7am, the night shift
hospitalist came in to discuss breaking my water in order to progress
labor. She said several things that seemed threatening about my lack
of progress and needing to hurry things up or they’d need to do a
c-section. She tried to find my water bag, and was unable to locate
it. I had felt several gushes throughout the evening and had
mentioned it to the nurses, but everyone had said it wasn’t my
water breaking. We discussed possibly doing a dose of pitocin, but I
decided to wait a little longer. My contractions had spaced again to
4-5 minutes apart. My new nurse Fereshteh (which means “angel”)
came in about about 9am to do a vaginal exam and I was dilated 7-8 cm
and the baby was at zero station. I remember loving my epidural
because I could still feel and move my legs, but was relieved of the
pain. I could still feel intense pressure, however, which I
preferred so that I could know how things were progressing. By about
10am I was starting to feel the pressure more intensely and the pain
was returning. Patricia had recommended that I not press the
epidural button to relieve the pain, but I wanted just a little
longer to relax, so I did. It didn’t last very long, however, but
allowed me to rest a tiny bit longer between the contractions again.
By 10:45 I was beginning to feel
intense rectal pressure, like I needed to go to the bathroom. A
vaginal exam showed that I was 8 ½ cm dilated and 100% effaced. At
this time Patricia had me on my side moving my leg up and down,
hoping to open things up. I focused on relaxing and visualizing my
cervix opening and the baby moving down. My contractions continued
to be spaced a little further out than was desirable as I was
continuing to feel increasing pressure, and Patricia and I discussed
the benefits of introducing a low dose of Pitocin to bring them
closer together to help with the pushing phase. At 11:45 they gave me
the lowest dose of Pitocin and my contractions quickly moved to every
3 minutes apart. By noon, I felt the pressure that I had read about
in other birth stories and knew that I needed and wanted to push. I
was asked to blow through my contractions, which in my mind at the
time was the most ridiculous thing anyone could request of me, the
urge to push with them was so very strong. I was checked and I was 9
½ cm dilated. Ferry turned off the Pitocin and by 12:15, I could no
longer hold off pushing. Ferry checked me again and I was finally
dilated to 10 cm and the baby was at +1 station. The new
hospitalist, Dr. Mimi Hong was not available as she was delivering
another baby and I was again asked to blow through several more
contractions. I was angry and remember shooting a death glance
towards Patricia, who whispered to me that anyone could catch the
baby. Blowing through the contractions was impossible and I ended up
pushing through parts of several I was asked to resist. Finally, at
12:25 Dr. Hong became available and I was told I could actively push.
I did so on my side for a while and then in a semi-reclined
position. During this time my epidural was turned off, although I
hadn’t felt like it was doing too much in the time prior to that.
I remember feeling relieved that they
were anxious for the doctor to be there, as Patricia had specifically
requested that they not bring the doctor in until it was really
necessary, allowing me the space to progress and not have everyone
standing there staring at me and waiting.
As we waited for the pushing
contractions to start, I remember looking up at Van and saying that
maybe God would bless us to have a short pushing phase since the rest
of my labor had been so very long, and silently praying that it would
be so. Although I could fully feel the contractions coming on, all I
wanted was for the nurses and Patricia to tell me when to push and
for how long. It was wonderful to hear them cheering me on and
telling me what a great job I was doing. I couldn’t care less who
was in the room or what else was going on, I was very focused on just
pushing and getting my baby girl here as quickly as I could. It was
still very surreal to me that it was really happening. They gave me
oxygen as one point during the pushing process, which helped me to
breathe more deeply. After one of my pushes they all said they
could see the head. I could feel it, like a bowling ball between my
legs, but again, it was difficult to grasp and I remember asking if
she was really there. Patricia told me to reach down and touch her
head, which I did. It helped give me motivation and strength for
those final pushes. Right before my final contraction that brought
her out, my playlist got to one of my favorite songs from labor, Iz's
version of “What a Wonderful World/ Somewhere Over the Rainbow”.
It was her birth song, and at 12:49, my baby girl Rowan Jane Willis
was born! They placed her directly on my chest where I could cuddle
her and look at her. I was still in disbelief, but it was heavenly
and we were elated. The doctor allowed the cord to pulsate
completely before Van cut it and I was able to easily deliver the
placenta without any extra pitocin. I did have a 2nd
degree tear, which the doctor said was mostly due to Rowan having her
arm up near her head. After we were all taken care of, the doctor
and nurses left me, Van and Rowan to have a quiet hour together as a
family to bond. The baby breastfed right away on her own and it was
lovely to just be together and delay the bathing, weighing, etc…
She weighed 8 lbs, 13 oz and was 21 inches long with a 14”head! We
are thrilled to have her here and especially grateful that our birth
plan was so closely followed and respected and that things went so
well considering the circumstances. My recovery has been amazing in
comparison to my c-section and I really felt back to normal, minus
the sleep deprivation, after about 2 weeks!
I know that we were guided in this
process to the right people to help us achieve a peaceful, healthy
birth for our baby. I've been reflecting on the whole process and
am amazed by the positive feelings I have about it all, despite the
pain I experienced and how long and exhausting it was. I look back
fondly on how grateful I felt for everyone that helped and supported
me during labor. I felt such intense love for Van as he supported me
through such a long and physically intense process. I feel blessed
to have been able to birth my baby the way we did and especially for
the sweet baby girl that it brought to our family!
What a beautiful story! Way to go Katie, I am so happy for you...and good job Van, you are a good man! Congratulations on another cute baby girl!!
ReplyDeleteLovely, I loved every word. I'm so glad that it went well and your birth plan was respected. And I love that baby Rowan.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Katie! What a neat birth story. So neat that your birth plan was followed and all went well! :)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! I'm glad you posted this!
ReplyDelete