Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Sleep Stories

So, we've had quite the change in sleep habits from Daphne the past couple of days. Just when I think she's getting into some sort of a schedule she changes. She was on a schedule of twice a night wake ups with a decently long stretch to start--between 5 and 7 hours for several days. I was excited that we might eventually be getting some sleep when she starting pushing that to 3-4 times a night with only a 4-5 hour stretch to start, which means that all stretches after that are short. Just when I was wondering if we were ever going to get sleep again (I guess I should say "if I was ever going to get sleep again"--Van barely budges when she wakes up), the night before last she went down at 7:15. I woke up at 3:30 and stared at the clock in disbelief that I hadn't heard from her yet and went back to sleep--I've thankfully gotten past the point where I freak out and wonder if she's alive and have to go in and check on her, risking waking her up. We didn't hear from her until 4:40 and then she went straight back to sleep after eating until 7:45am. Hallelujah!

It was too good to be true and I was sure it was a fluke, especially when last night she got real grumpy at about 5:50pm, so we put her down for a little power nap before bedtime. When she hadn't woken up by 7:30pm, I started to panic. "Van! Do we wake her and risk screwing up a good schedule? Will she really sleep a long time after having eaten at 5 and going to bed right before 6? If we don't wake her now is she going to wake up at 11 and then every 2 hours thereafter (she's done it before!)?" We opened her door and turned on the hall late to help her wake up on her own, but to no avail. She was slumbering soundly, so I nervously shut the door and decided to just let the sleeping baby lie. As I was drifting off to sleep at 10:30, I heard a couple of squeaks and thought sure we were done for, but finally faded away. I was amazed when I woke up and looked at the clock and it said 3am when we finally heard her. She ate, went straight back to sleep and we didn't hear from her again until 6:30!!! Wahooo! I could TOTALLY get used to this. Everyone says that the changes in sleep schedule are growth spurts. I tend to think it's bunk, unless she really is going through growth spurts every couple of weeks--which at this stage is completely feasible. :) I'm hoping and hoping some more that she stays this size for a good long time if it means the nights remain like this! Thanks for sleepin' Daphne. You don't know how happy it makes your mama!

3 comments:

  1. Three cheers for good sleep! Keep it up, Daphne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! Life gets soooo much easier when the babies get the sleeping thing down! I'm glad you started a blog. It is a great way to keep in touch. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you know once she starts sleeping through the night entirely, you'll wonder how you ever woke up at all!?

    ReplyDelete