Kayaking with Ann on the Mississippi right in back of their home
(it looks much more peaceful than it was--the mayflies had just hatched and were EVERYWHERE! It got better as we went further out)

Daphne excited to say hi to the horses before our carriage ride
Grandma Ann and Daphne
Grandpa and Daphne on the carriage ride
A not so great picture of the Nauvoo temple--wish I would've gotten a better one, but I just didn't get around to it. I didn't have our good camera either
A cicada--I had to take this in memory of the 17 year cicada season that I experienced growing up in MD. They were EVERYWHERE. It brought back lots of memories to hear and see them in Illinois too. I don't really miss them much.
Grandma and Daphne ready for our ox cart ride
Us and the oxen


Grandma and grandpa were pretty busy with their church responsibilities and service in the Nauvoo temple, so Daphne and I had plenty of time to explore the sites on our own, which gratefully are all free! We saw several fun performances put on by full time missionaries there about the history of Nauvoo, went on a wagon ride, a carriage ride, a wagon ride pulled by oxen, and visiting many historic homes and buildings. We learned about horseshoe making, the invention of the repeating rifle, and much of the history of the early days of the church. We saw demonstrations of how the printing press would've worked to print early copies of the Book of Mormon and learned how to make rope, bread in a brick oven, and candles.
The last time I went to these sites I was about 6 or 7, so I don't have much memory of them. This time, I was so deeply impressed by the faith that the early members of the church had that God would prepare a way for them to worship Jesus Christ in the way that they knew was right. Because of the rapid growth of the church, surrounding communities became wary of the community and they were horribly persecuted. Many of the early saints had traveled long distances and sacrificed much to move to Nauvoo and build homes, only to be driven out and make the treacherous and long trek west. I am grateful for the pioneers who sacrificed so much that I can have the freedom to worship God and Jesus Christ as I do. I am also grateful for their examples of faith and dedication. It strengthens me to know that they were able to resist so much opposition with such great faith and find joy even in their hardships. We are mocked and persecuted often as a religion and as a church in our day as well, but I know that this church is true and that we will be supported as we continue in faith daily.
Daphne loving the screen porch--beautiful view! It was so peaceful to sit out on their swing in the afternoon and evening and just soak in the calm and quiet. Just what we needed! :)
Daphne excited to say hi to the horses before our carriage ride
Grandma Ann and Daphne
Grandpa and Daphne on the carriage ride
A not so great picture of the Nauvoo temple--wish I would've gotten a better one, but I just didn't get around to it. I didn't have our good camera either
A cicada--I had to take this in memory of the 17 year cicada season that I experienced growing up in MD. They were EVERYWHERE. It brought back lots of memories to hear and see them in Illinois too. I don't really miss them much.
Grandma and Daphne ready for our ox cart ride
Us and the oxen
The main reason we went to Nauvoo wasn't to see church history sites, (although it was a wonderful experience) but to see grandma and grandpa. Spending time with grandma and grandpa was so much fun, and Daphne was sad to leave (so was I). She loved crawling at full speed around the house and screen porch. It was her first experience with fireflies, which I miss so much! The weather was actually not too hot either--a little rainy, but not bad. Dad and Ann are renting a home right on the Mississippi as they needed to rent theirs out a little early in order to be ready to leave for their missionary service for the church. One of the highlights of being there was being able to watch them open their missionary call, since they didn't know where they were going or for how long.
Ann's surprise at where they were going :)
So happy---They will be serving in the New York, New York South Mission, likely focused in Long Island where they will be working with as CES missionaries (church education system), likely teaching scripture study classes and working with young adults between 18 and 3o or so. They are very excited. They'll be serving for 23 months and leave August 8th, so we got our visit in right in time!
So happy---They will be serving in the New York, New York South Mission, likely focused in Long Island where they will be working with as CES missionaries (church education system), likely teaching scripture study classes and working with young adults between 18 and 3o or so. They are very excited. They'll be serving for 23 months and leave August 8th, so we got our visit in right in time!
Watching "Sunset on the Mississippi". Daphne lost interest after just a little bit, but it was fun to watch what we did. I can't believe how fast she's growing up--she looks less like a baby and more and more like a little girl every day! 

Thanks grandma and grandpa! Our next visit will likely be to NEW YORK to see you! :)
Looks like a fun trip! We were just there! Congrats to your parents on their mission call!
ReplyDeleteSo fun! Love all the pics. Daphne is looking very *blonde.* And you're right -- she's already starting loose the baby look and gain more toddlerness. Adorable! And how fun you were there for Dad and Ann to open their mission call. Wish we could have been there with you!
ReplyDelete